Access Variable Values

Questions regarding the use of the ANSI C SDK for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdkc

mmii

Access Variable Values

Post by mmii »

Hi,
I have successfully designed and implemented a server provider.
Now, I want to access variable values.
I want to fill the values of variables designed with values from my application and vice versa;
I want to use the values of variables set (via Client) in my application.
Where can I access variable values?
Is there a function which handles the communication?

Support Team

Re: Access Variable Values

Post by Support Team »

Hello mmii,

please have a look at the Getting Started tutorials in our documentation, there you have an example on how to connect real world data with nodes in your provider: http://documentation.unified-automation ... arted.html. We also recommend to have a look at the demoprovider, as it contains samples for all kinds of use cases of the SDK.

Directly accessing values of variable nodes can be done with OpcUa_Variable_GetValue/OpcUa_Variable_SetValue.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

mmii

Post by mmii »

Can you support me with an example?

In servermain.c I have real world data (boolean, double,...).
In uaprovider_xxx_nodes_1.c my nodes designed with UaModeler are described.
For my variable nodes, initial values are set, e.g.: value.Value.Double = (OpcUa_Double) 0.0;.
I want to use an expression like this in servermain.c. But you suggest OpcUa_Variable_SetValue().

I have checked the documentation of OpcUa_Variable_SetValue(): a pointer referencing the variable and the value as a variant to be set are required.
How can I get these?
In my opinion, I have to use unique identifiers for the variables from uaprovider_xxx_nodes_1.c. Is it correct?

I have tried to use:

Code: Select all

OpcUa_Variable_SetValue(xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1,di2)
where di2 is a variant and di2.value contains the real world value, but it doesnt't work, because xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1is not known by the compiler.

This is the variable i want to set with real world data:

/* TestVariable1, ComponentOf TestObjekt1 */
    referenceTypeId.Identifier.Numeric = OpcUaId_HasComponent;
    UaBase_CreateNumericNodeIdEx(&parentNodeId, xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1, g_UaProviderxxx_uNamespaceIndex1);
    UaServer_GetNode(pAddressSpace,
                    &parentNodeId,
                    &pParent);
    UaBase_CreateNumericNodeIdEx(&nodeInfo.TypeDefinition, OpcUaId_BaseDataVariableType, 0);
    UaBase_CreateNumericNodeIdEx(&nodeInfo.NodeId, xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1, g_UaProviderxxx_uNamespaceIndex1);
    nodeInfo.NodeClass = OpcUa_NodeClass_Variable;
    UaBase_CreateLocalizedText(&nodeInfo.sDisplayName, g_xxxStringTable1[14], g_xxxStringTable1[3]);
    UaBase_CreateQualifiedNameEx(&nodeInfo.sBrowseName, g_xxxStringTable1[3], g_UaProviderxxx_uNamespaceIndex1);
    UaBase_CreateLocalizedText(&nodeInfo.sDescription, g_xxxStringTable1[14], g_xxxStringTable1[4]);
    uStatus = UaProvider_xxx_CreateNode(pAddressSpace,
        &pNode,
        pParent,
        &referenceTypeId,
        &nodeInfo);
    OpcUa_GotoErrorIfBad(uStatus);
    OpcUa_Variable_SetAccessLevel(pNode, OpcUa_AccessLevels_CurrentReadOrWrite);
#if UASERVER_SUPPORT_AUTHORIZATION == OPCUA_CONFIG_NO
    OpcUa_Variable_SetUserAccessLevel(pNode, OpcUa_AccessLevels_CurrentReadOrWrite);
#endif
    OpcUa_Variable_SetDataType_Numeric(pNode, OpcUaId_Double, 0);
    OpcUa_Variable_SetHistorizing(pNode, OpcUa_False);
    OpcUa_Variable_SetMinimumSamplingInterval(pNode, 0);
    OpcUa_Variable_SetValueRank(pNode, OpcUa_ValueRanks_Scalar);
    OpcUa_Variant_Initialize(&value);
    value.Value.Double = (OpcUa_Double) 0.0;
    value.Datatype = OpcUaType_Double;
    value.ArrayType = OpcUa_VariantArrayType_Scalar;

OpcUa_Variable_AttachValue(pNode, &value);

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hello mmii,

for setting the value of a node, you first need to retrieve the node (OpcUa_Variable) and then access its value. In our demo server we have an example for that in uaprovider_demo_simulation.c, function UaProvider_Demo_GetNodeValueNumeric. The numeric identifier of the node is passed into the function (in your case that would be xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1. Based on that, the NodeId of the node is constructed and UaServer_GetNodeById is called to retrieve the OpcUa_Variable. This can then be passed to OpcUa_Variable_GetValue to retrieve the value (OpcUa_Variant) of the node.
Best regards

mmii

Post by mmii »

Ok, but my problem is that xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1 is not known in servermain.c.

In my opinion, xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1 represents an id, because UaProvider_Demo_GetNodeValueNumeric expects int id.
I need to include the relationship between xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1 and id in servermain.c.
How can I do it?

mmii

Post by mmii »

mmii wrote: Ok, but my problem is that xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1 is not known in servermain.c.
In my opinion, xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1 represents an id, because UaProvider_Demo_GetNodeValueNumeric expects int id.
I need to include the relationship between xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1 and id in servermain.c.
How can I do it?
I fixed the problem by including the providers _identifiers_1.h; now it seems to be known: No compiler error by using:

pVal = UaProvider_Demo_GetNodeValueNumeric(xxx_Objects_TestObjekt1_TestVariable1);
New problem:

Considering your example from demoserver,

if(pVal)
does not become true;

Without it, I get an Segmentation fault for the second line when I do:

OpcUa_Variant  *pVal = 0;
pVal->Value.UInt32 = 123;

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hello mmii,

please use https://webdav.unifiedautomation.com/su ... _form.html to create a support request containing your customer id and an exact description of your issue, including your code, so we can analyze it.
Best regards