starting with OPC-UA

Questions regarding the use of UaModeler

Moderator: uamodeler

perezjo

starting with OPC-UA

Post by perezjo »

Hello,

I want to implement an OPC-UA server in a device. I have the ANSI C SDK compiled and I have implemented a demo server correctly using a few variables. This was made using the code obtained from the UaModeler, compiled, attached to real data and checked with UaExpert client.

My question is if this example is a valid OPC-UA server. I mean, if I design the complete address space with UaModeler and the obtained code inserted properly in the device's FW, could it be considered as an OPC-UA server? Would this pass the CTTs? Should I include any other thing or consider any specification?

Many thanks.

Support Team

Re: starting with OPC-UA

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

The kind and amount of information provided by an OPC UA server does not make a difference regarding compliance. If your server does not provide a certain type of information like events, history, alarms etc. you can not claim to support it but it is not necessary to provide all possible OPC UA features to be a compliant OPC UA server.

If you have a static address space in your device you can create the whole address space with UaModeler. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you connect the nodes created to functionality in your server. The key thing is to provide the information necessary for the use cases you want to cover with the OPC UA server functionality.

Best Regards,
Unified Automation Support Team

perezjo

Post by perezjo »

OK, understood. One last question, what do you mean with static address space?
Thank you so much.
Regards.

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

Static means the nodes are compiled in, do not change and are the same with the same NodeId in every device. Such nodes can be created directly with UaModler. The values of variables may change but the nodes and references are the same in every device.

All nodes that are device configuration specific must be created with device specific code based on the configuration of the device.

Best Regards,
Unified Automation Support Team

Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Hey,

If i get it right from your last post, there is the possibility to use compiled-in static address spaces, which can
completely be defined using the uaModeler. I checked out the documentation for the uaModeler and couldn't find any paragraph concerning the uaModeler in combination with High Performance SDK and static addressspace.

As we are interested in using the High Performance SDK with static addressspace from c-Files, the question came up if the uaModeler supports this completely or if there are any restrictions regarding the usage of the static addressspace in an OPC UA server or during the modeling process.

Best Regards