Understanding Raspberry PI OPC UA Server

Questions regarding the use of the ANSI C SDK for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdkc

hyperdanny

Understanding Raspberry PI OPC UA Server

Post by hyperdanny »

Hello everybody,

I have recently received my CD of the Raspberry Pi OPC UA server based on the C OPC UA SDK.

Now I'm trying to figure out, how this software works. Later I'd like to add some new features to it:

To my understanding different "OPC UA projects" can be found in the include directory. I had a brief look on the code and could see that there were different directories regarding different projects, e.g. PiFace.
I took some time to make my way through the different files of this PiFace directory and could see that there was some code defining the different nodes, that are supposed to be visible in an OPC Client.

But i couldn't find any code that turns the led lights on and of , if e.g. an output node's state is set to true/false.
Where is this handled?

Would be really nice if somebody could help me understand how this server works.
Unfortunately i could't find any documentation regarding the Pi opc ua server.

Support Team

Re: Understanding Raspberry PI OPC UA Server

Post by Support Team »

Hello hyperdanny,

the example implements two data providers. One is our standard demonstration server which generates some simulated data, and the second is some very simple dataprovider for the PIFace add on module, just for simple showcase. This dataprovider implements simple read/write calls into a C library provided by the PI Face supplier, and that library actually switches the LEDs on and off. When developing an OPC UA Server for providing data of a specific system, you typically need to wirte the code that attaches our SDK (the dataprovider interface) to the target system API for accessing the "real" data.

The documentation on how to implement the OPC UA SDK's data provider interface can be found in our product documentation of the respective SDK.

Best Regards
Support Team

Raspberry

Re: Understanding Raspberry PI OPC UA Server

Post by Raspberry »

Support Team wrote:Hello hyperdanny,

the example implements two data providers. One is our standard demonstration server which generates some simulated data, and the second is some very simple dataprovider for the PIFace add on module, just for simple showcase. This dataprovider implements simple read/write calls into a C library provided by the PI Face supplier, and that library actually switches the LEDs on and off. When developing an OPC UA Server for providing data of a specific system, you typically need to wirte the code that attaches our SDK (the dataprovider interface) to the target system API for accessing the "real" data.

The documentation on how to implement the OPC UA SDK's data provider interface can be found in our product documentation of the respective SDK.

Best Regards
Support Team

Hallo Dear Support Team,
i have just began with my raspberry pi. Now I don't have piface. But I am very interested with the opc ua on Pi so now I am trying the settings of readme_raspberry. But at the end by "pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ./uaserverc_piface # starting the release versionby " there is a problem. It says: Permission denied.

I have tried chmod +x ./uaserverc_piface but it also doesn't work. Could you please tell me, if this is because the pi doesn't have Piface?
Thanks a lot.

Sorry I have posted this message also in another Post, but I just seen your reply here. Best regards!