discovery server

Questions regarding the use of the ANSI C SDK for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdkc

scalfee

discovery server

Post by scalfee »

Hi,

the demo servers use a settings.conf. And it has a discovery server section with the discovery "on". It even has a port number.

[Discovery]
# Enables registration at the local discovery server: true (=default), false
Register = true
DiscoveryURL = opc.tcp://localhost:4840/UADiscovery/discovery
DiscoveryInterval = 30000

So it is assuming my local pc has a discovery server. Is one built when I built the demos? Is one available for download. How does one test and evaluate the discovery stuff?

Thanks, Steve

Support Team

Re: discovery server

Post by Support Team »

Hello Steve,

the local discovery server (LDS) is not a part of our OPC UA SDK. But you can download the latest beta version of the LDS at http://www.opcfoundation.org/DownloadFi ... 286&CU=145
Please don't forget to exchange the certificates of the OPC UA Server and the LDS, otherwise the server can't register at the LDS.

Best regards
Support Team

scalfee

Post by scalfee »

Thanks, I had already seen that. I didn't consider it because it was a Windows app.

In a remote industrial site, a Linux server may be preferred. Is anyone working on a crossplatform server?

Regards, Steve

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hello Steve,

you assumptions are correct, the fist LDS was wirtten in C# and was based on the .NET UA Stack. However, the new LDS is written completely in ANSI C, in order to be fully platform independent. All members of the OPC Foundation have access to the source and can compile "their own" LDS for the desired platform.

The OPC Foundation has decided to provide "Windows Binary LDS" as redistributable setup/mergemodule package. By this the same functionality known from the classic "OPC Enum", is provided to the community. The LDS is usefull when you have more than one Server on your one PC, e.g. on an "embedded device" this is not very likely and you typically will not have any LDS. On Windows systems it may make sense, and you could integrate the msm merge module into your product setup.

From an SDK viewpoint it is not clear what the final application is targted for and what the final use case would be. Hence, in our Server configuration we show how to use LDS registration (it is configured), but if no LDS exists on the target machine nothing will happen.

The LDS is out of scope of the SDK itself, it may become interesting for the "final Server application", but that depends on the use case of such Server and the questions if it lives alone on the target or not. So in the end it is the decision of the product owner of the UAServer if he wants to ship an LDS together with his product.

Best Regards
Support Team