Changing OPC Server (and Client) Configuration without Application Restart

Questions regarding the use of the .NET SDK 2.0 for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdknet

kelly_peng

Changing OPC Server (and Client) Configuration without Application Restart

Post by kelly_peng »

I have gotten a sample OPC-UA Client (GettingStartedClient) and Server (UADemoServer.Net48) working but I am trying to allow a user of my Server test application a specific workflow.

- start windows application
- configure server port
- start server
- oops wrong port
- stop server from operating at original port, this frees the original port to be used by some other windows application
- reconfigure port
- start server on correct port
- OPC clients now connect correctly

All without restarting the windows form application.

I am not using the app.config file but instead using a method based on ConfigureOpcUaApplicationFromCode from sample code, Lesson01.

The problem is that I can not see a way to shutdown the server port and change to a new port. There is ApplicationInstanceBase.Start() but I can find no corresponding ApplicationInstanceBase.Stop().

- as far as I can tell these two lines in ConfigurationInMemory set up the port but I can not stop the original service / changes these once started.

configuration.BaseAddresses = New UnifiedAutomation.UaSchema.ListOfBaseAddresses()
configuration.BaseAddresses.Add("opc.tcp://localhost:48030")

The desired workflow can be worked out on the client. Although the Client has the same issue with ApplicationInstanceBase, you can disconnect and dispose of a Session and provide the port on Session.Connect so the necessary workflow appears available on the client.

related question - if I start the ApplicationInstance with Tracing disabled (TraceSettings.MasterTraceEnabled = false), I would also like to enable tracing without restarting the server, is this possible?

related question - if I start the ApplicationInstance with Tracing disabled, I would also like to enable tracing without restarting the Client, is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

Support Team

Re: Changing OPC Server (and Client) Configuration without Application Restart

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

You can update the server ports by doing the following steps:
  • Update the BaseAddresses in the configuration
  • Call ServerManager.Stop();
  • Call ApplicationInstanceBase.Start();
  • Call ServerManager.Start(application);
You can also update the current tracing. Update the TraceSettings and call TraceBase.ApplyGlobalSettings.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team