incorrect encoding of German umlauts in NodeID Identifier string

Questions regarding the use of the .NET SDK 2.0 for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdknet

stefanpaulat

incorrect encoding of German umlauts in NodeID Identifier string

Post by stefanpaulat »

We have an OPCUA SDK Server running on VXWORKS OS.

Using an C++ based OPC UA SDK Client on Windows10, node Names like "NS4|String|F000..Überwachen1" where displayed correctly.

But when I create an .NET based OPC UA SDK Client the character "Ü"=0xDC (Unicode) is not encoded correctly. The Function I use for browsing nodes is
UnifiedAutomation.UaClient.Session.Browse(…) which gives me a variable of type ReferenceDescription. The encoding of the object ReferenceDescription.NodeID.Identifier seems to be not working properly and I can not change it. The Identifier is always displayed like "NS4|String|F000\..?berwachen1"
I see the same encoding issue with UaExpert.

I suspect, it has something to do with Windows10 language settings, or maybe ist on the server side?

If anyone can help me out on how the achieve the correct encoding of German umlauts in .NET based OPC UA SDK Client, that would be great.

Support Team

Re: incorrect encoding of German umlauts in NodeID Identifier string

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

Since the encoding issue can be observed in the .NET Client and in UaExpert it is likely that the server sends the string badly encoded. Please check with wireshark what data is sent.

Please note: The client should use the NodeIds that are received by a Browse call directly without any modifications for the next OPC UA service calls. Do the "encoding issues" result in any failing subsequent OPC UA operations?
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team