Support for .NET Core 3.0

Questions regarding the use of the .NET SDK 2.0 for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdknet

h2k_toy

Support for .NET Core 3.0

Post by h2k_toy »

Hi,

i see there is stated .NET Core is supported, your sales team informed me that .NET Core 2.x is supported.

Now that i dig deeper into .NET Core i realize it would be good to have .NET Core 3.0. [1]

So my question is, do you support .NET Core 3.x and - if not - when will it be available?

Thanks!

[1] I started with .NET Core 1.0 because i still use VS 2017.
Then i found my code uses certain reflection stuff yet supported in Core 2.0
Then i found my code uses WeakEvent Manager yet supported in Core 3.0.

I could build the UaSErver from scratch in Core 2.0 but then it's more effort.

Support Team

Re: Support for .NET Core 3.0

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

since our version 3.0.0 the .NET based Client Server SDK comes with precompiled assemblies (the SDK assemblies) that comply to ".NET Standard 2.0" (Nuget Package). These assemblies use .NET API functions of .NET Standard 2.0 only.

Regarding to Microsoft documentation, this allows to use such assemblies in applications that are compiled for .NET Core 2.x AND in applications that are compiled for .NET Core 3.x. Because Microsoft promised to not break interfaces as long as ".NET Standard 2.0 API" is used only (and that is what our SDK assemblies do).

That said, you can use the Unified Automation .NET based SDK v3.x.x in applications that are compiled for Core 3.0. Whatever Core3 features you use in your appliaction is your business, you load the SDK assemblies into your Core 3 application, and they will work.

NOTE, the shipped example applications, demo server, demo client, tutorials and the like are precompiled for Core 2.1. And they were tested on Core 2.1. That is why they are "officially" released for Core 2.1 (and only run on Core 2.1). Reason is, that Core 2.1 is most used in the field. BUT, the SDK comes with source code for the example applications and you can just recompile them for Core 3.0 (still using the same SDK assemblies), and the example applications (same as your own application) will run on Core 3.0
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

h2k_toy

Re: Support for .NET Core 3.0

Post by h2k_toy »

Thanks a lot for the detailed information!