Import and export nodeset files.

Questions regarding the use of UaModeler

Moderator: uamodeler

RavilN

Import and export nodeset files.

Post by RavilN »

Hi,

I wonder, is it possible to import standard nodeset files into UA Modeler? For example, OPC UA Companion specifications. When I try to add models at the time when a project is created, it looks only for files with .ua extension, while node-set files are with .xml extension. Is this limited only in the demo version?
Once data types are created, I would like to create some instances of objects, Here the question is: will the UA Modeler generate all child nodes for the chosen object type?
The next step would be to export the model to XML file. Preferable, objects and variable instances, and only those type definitions which are directly or indirectly referred by created instances of objects and variables.

Could you please clarify, are all these features required to follow this workflow are supported by the UA Modeler.

Thank you, Ravil

Support Team

Re: Import and export nodeset files.

Post by Support Team »

Hello Ravil,

You can import NodeSet2 XML files. In the current version of UaModeler you need to switch the filename filter from *.ua to *.xml.
Once a UaModeler project with standard (companion) models is created, we recommend to lock the standard model. The models will not get edited by accident in this case.
If an instance of an ObjectType or VariableType is created in UaModeler, all mandatory children are created automatically. Optional children can be selected with a dialog.
The model can be exported to XML files. Please note: The evaluation version of UaModeler can only exort models with at most 10 instances.
UaModeler will export all nodes. I.e. there is no logic to export only "used" types. You need to delete the unused types manually.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

RavilN

Post by RavilN »

Thank you for your explanations!

I could select and import XML node-set files, which is good!

Could create an instance of the object too.

However, I cannot find how to save the model in node-set XML file. I tried to click on the Compile button, but it does not produce any new files in the output folder. Note that the project was created with type "Modeling only" I don't need to generate source code.
BTW, regarding the generated source code if it were selected: would it depend on Unified Automation SDK, or can be used with any other SDK like open62541?

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

the cenerated code as of UaModeler is specific for the SDK you select upfront. UaModeler can generate code (for some SDK generate complete UA server) for the SDKs of Unified Automation. In fact "generating code" is the main purpose of the UaModeler, when purchasing SDK from Unified Automation, you will get your UaModeler license for free (included in the SDK).

The XML-Export is an additional feature of UaModeler for people doing the "modeling only", e.g. when writing companion specification, creating your own type system extension, etc. See documentation of UaModeler: in "Project Window" right click on your model and select "Export XML"

The Eval-Edition of UaModeler can export up to 10 Types/Instances into XML.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team