Unsupported Data Type

Questions regarding the use of the UaExpert.

Moderator: uaexpert

Utkrist

Unsupported Data Type

Post by Utkrist »

Hi,
I am on a virtual machine (Debian 12) and installed the uasdkcppbundlepubsub-eval-bin-gcc-v1.8.1-605 for linux. I am able to build the examples without any problem. I wanted to add a custom structure, and for that I used the UaModeler to generate the code. I followed the tutorial for UaModeler to add an object datatype and then created my own structure. After that, I included the generated code as my executables. It builds and runs fine, but while trying to view the custom structure in Data Access View, I get the error "Unsupported Data Type". The Log file show the error, "UaStructureField::setDataTypeId: not able to get BuiltInType for DataType i=0". The UaModeler and UaExpert I used were AppImages provided for Linux. I was able to do this in Windows without any error. I am not sure why I am getting this error, since the code generated by the UaModeler is same for both Windows and Linux.

Also, slightly off topic, can I use UaExpert on Windows to connect to the server create in my Virtual Machine? Not sure if this is an issue with the network settings in the Virtual Machine or if I have to configure UaExpert differently, but I was not able to find the endpoint for the server in UaExpert in Windows.

Support Team

Re: Unsupported Data Type

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

there is a known issue in the UaExpert that it is not able to display custom structures that again contain BaseDataType. You can either set a concrete type to the structure element (which you probably shoudl have done anyways) or you wait for UaExpert updated to 1.7.1 or higher. However, as you already describe, there is no difference between Linux and Windows in this regard (you may have used different UaExpert Version on the different OS)

The other issue is of topic. It is most probably related to wrong configuration of network adapter (Bridged versus NAT) and/or your network not having proper name resolution. You should consider that OPC UA approach is twofold, discover and connect! The server has a DiscoveryURL which might be different from the EndpointURL being returned GetEndpoints (which is used to connect).
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

Utkrist

Post by Utkrist »

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. I was able to connect to the server initiated on the Debian Virtual Machine via UaExpert on Windows. As you mentioned, I had to change the network configuration to Bridge, and provide the Debian IP address instead of the EndpointURL.

However, I still don't understand the Unsupported DataType problem on UaExpert. On UaModeler, when I try to add a new structured data type, I only have the option to add BaseData Type as the Member's DataType. How can I set a concrete type to the structure element?

I can view the Custom Structure on Windows with no errors. (UaExpert version- 1.6.3 448)
Unsupported DataType Error when viewing Custom Structure on Debian. (UaExpert version- 1.7.0 526)
I also find it slightly weird that I am facing this error on the newer version of UaExpert.

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,
I also find it slightly weird that I am facing this error on the newer version of UaExpert.
It is not so weird as you might think. The new edition of UaExpert comes with a lot of bugfixes for reported errors, and also with (some few) new bugs that may have worked before. As long as we produce more fixes than new bugs, we will still call it "improvement".
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team