Longer standard log output from UAExpert

Questions regarding the use of the UaExpert.

Moderator: uaexpert

Bergsteiger

Longer standard log output from UAExpert

Post by Bergsteiger »

My need is to look for time out messages on an OPC-UA server, that could happen may be once every 2 days. Therefore
I have changed the Gerneral.LogMaxEntries = 10000000. But still saving the log only generates a file with 87 kB.

In parallel I am logging with the DataLogger from 3 OPC-UA servers a single node looking for status code changes.
Is there a better way to check for such rarely occuring error events with UaExpert?

Best regards

Support Team

Re: Longer standard log output from UAExpert

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

the Uaxpert will detect communication error automatically. When being connected to a UA Server the UaExpert is already checking the server status variable in the background (you don't need to do anything for that). In case a change in the serverside status, or just the pure fact that the status is not readable anymore, will be detected and logged to the log window (in red text). UaExpert would consider an unresponsive status (no response within 15 seconds) as "connection loss" and would enter in its reconnection loop, which again is logged in the log window (in red text).

The Datalogger will probably be not of much help, because it will log the value only when having "changed", however when not having changed, it will not be logged.

You "look for timeout message" means what? In OPC UA there is nothing like a "timeout message". The client sends a "request" (which includes a timeout hint), and by this the server knows how long the client is going to wait for an answer (the server may respect the hint of just don't care). However, if the server is not sending any "response" within that given timeout hint, the client side consider this request being timed out (but there is no timeout message transmitted over the wire). If the server is sending the response later than the timeout hint, the answer is just dropped on the client side (because it was received to late).
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team