Language dependent alarm texts

Questions regarding the use of the UaExpert.

Moderator: uaexpert

MarcoHandl

Language dependent alarm texts

Post by MarcoHandl »

Hello Forum,

I use a Siemens S7-1516 as OPC-UA Server with alarms and events activated.
As frontend I use UaExpert and the messaging works fine.

My problem is that I have more then one projekt language. On Siemens side I made all neccessary setting and translations.
In some Forum I found the information that I have to set the localeId to my desired language and the client will request the right language set.
but till now it doesn't matter what I write in den localeId (de-DE, "de-DE", de, en-GB, "en-GB", en, "en-UK", ....) I always receive just an german text.
I found out the localId will just be set in the session on connect.

Has anyone a clue for me how to move on from here?

Support Team

Re: Language dependent alarm texts

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

the UaExpert can request the localeID when creating the session (as you mentioned it is global for the session). The Setting can be found in menu "Settings->Configure UaExpert->General.LocaleId (default is "en-US"). When changing this but already being connected, you may need to disconnect/connect to force new session to be created using new localeID.

If the requested locale is not supported/present for the node the server will return it's default language " " instead (fall back).
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

ArminGiesler

Post by ArminGiesler »

Hi, I have the same Problem as marco.

I have an 1513CPU with 3 online Languages English (United States / German (Germany) / Italian (Italy) in the PLC, programmed with TIA V18

I have Multilanguage for the Alarm Messages in the PLC, there are also shown in the TIA under Diagnosis / Messages in english.
In the UA-Expert i have adusted General.LocaleId default is "en-US"

I disconnected to the Server and connected again, but I still see the Messages only in German.

Is there any other Adjustment or test for to find out where the Problem is ?

Thanks for helping

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

from an "adjustment" point of view, there is nothing else you can do.

After selecting the Locale in the global settings of UaExpert, it will be used in "ActivateSession" (for that reason, after changing selection in settings of UaExpert, you must disconnect/connect, furthermore this setting will be persisted, and with that also survive closing/restart of UaExpert).

If you still can not see the correct language in the localized text of the UA Server, the functionality might not be supported in the 1513 you are using. Maybe there is something wrong in your TIA configuration or the PLC/UAServer download. Please check with Siemens, FW version of your CPU, if feature is supported and if configuration is correct.
Best regards

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

from my understanding the Siemens PLC does not support the switching of languages via the "locale" in ActivateSession. Instead the PLC's UA Server always returns the FIRST language in the list of configured languages (being the language-neutral one), and use that in OPC UA Server, no matter what the UA Client requests.
For that reason, if your first language in the list (check TIA configuration "Multilingual Support") is German, you will get German in the OPC UA Server. The (currently) only way of changing the language in the Siemens PLC is changing the order in the list, to get your desired language (e.g. Italian (Italy)) at the topmost position list entry, and download PLC configuration again.

Note: such download will be "device configuration change", hence requires "stop" of PLC and UA Server.
Best regards