Data logger to xml

Questions regarding the use of the UaExpert.

Moderator: uaexpert

Bananafell3r

Data logger to xml

Post by Bananafell3r »

Hi guys, i am a new member in this forum. I am using ua expert from 2 weeks, I am not an expert user. I need to export an xml files from data logger view? is it possible?

Support Team

Re: Data logger to xml

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

the datalogger plugin in UaExpert is just for demonstrating purpose. It can write the data to CSV-file and has all the limitations comming alongside with that approach, e.g. the speed is limited to writing speed to hard disk, the lenght of the data is limited to the file size, the number of lines in a file is limited, the number of nodes is limited, etc. The CSV file format is trying to limit the overhead of data to be written. However, storing data values in XML file format will not make any difference, except that the volume to write is even bigger, and hence is not the desired function of this datalagger plugin.

Anyways, the datalogger plugin in UaExpert can demonstrate how OPC UA technology works regarding sampling rate and publishing interval, and regarding the cool feature of data queues and their discard policies when running over, hence the datalogger plugin shows what would be doable from an OPC UA technology perspective. You should use it with not more than 10 nodes and at a moderate speed of data changes. For anything else (real world application) you would need some "real" datalogger that would write to an optimized (most probably in-memory) database including data compression, ring buffer, long term strategies for speed and size, and the like.

But again, the datalogger in UaExpert is for demonstration of the coolest OPC UA features, but not database features. Therefore we decided to store in a very simple CSV file format.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

Bananafell3r

Re: Data logger to xml

Post by Bananafell3r »

I understood... and which is a "real" data logger? i need to donwload another software? can you suggest me?