Connection establishment

Questions regarding the use of the UaExpert.

Moderator: uaexpert

datenRaten

Connection establishment

Post by datenRaten »

Hello,

I got a question regarding the connection establishment using UaExpert.
Tools used: UaExpert v1.5.1, OPC UA C++ Demo Server V1.7.0

When following the connection establishment process using wireshark, two phases can be observed.
First the sequence is: Hello -> Ack -> OpenSecureChannelRequest -> OpenSecureChannelResponse -> GetEndpointsRequest -> GetEndpointsResponse -> CloseSecureChannelRequest

Shortly after the "real" connection is established:
Hello -> Ack -> OpenSecureChannelRequest -> OpenSecureChannelResponse -> CreateSessionRequest -> CreateSessionResponse -> ActivateSessionRequest -> ActivateSessionResponse

Is this expected behaviour? The specification and other traces are telling me that the process can be done in a single step. Is there a special reason it is done this way by UaExpert?

background: The aim is to classify traffic (especially OPC UA) using a statistical approach. For that simulations of the connection establishment and data exchange are necessary and I'm not sure whether the case presented here should be considered.

Support Team

Re: Connection establishment

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

the "double" connection is the intended behaviour. A Client will typically discover the available endpoints in a first step and in a second step connect for the "real". A good client will even check if for both connection approach the server returned the same security relevant data.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team