Win Server 2003

Questions regarding installing, running and configuring UaGateway.

Moderator: uagateway

gillerman

Win Server 2003

Post by gillerman »

I realize that Windows Server 2003 is not listed as a supported platform, but am wondering if this typically works. I can access the gateway from a UA client on the same machine, but not from a machine on the same subnet. Port 4850 is open, but I am not sure what else to try. I get an error messages saying that my URL does not start with opc.tcp: when I try to add the server to the UAExpert server list. If I cancel out of that and try to connect anyways, the error from the discovery widget is: "Discovery GetEndpoints on opc.tcp://Gateway:4850 failed (BadHostUnknown). Looking at the Gateway trace, it says:
20:42:39.402Z|1|0FA8* Error: Cannot find local discovery server certificate <UA Local Discovery Server> in winodws store
20:42:40.370Z|1|0FA8* Error: Discovery Server not available

Thank you

Support Team

Re: Win Server 2003

Post by Support Team »

Dear gillerman,

we test the UaGateway only on two platforms (WinXP and Win7-WOW64). This does not mean that it can not be used on others. Win2k3 should be similar to XP. So this should work, even though not being tested by us.

The issue described sound like a name resolution problem, it seems that in your subnet there is no DNS server running. When connecting with the UaExpert you should try [url]opc.tcp://<your-IP-address>:4850[/url] and for IP put the IP address the UaGateway is running on to directly connect to the IP (without using the hostname). Is "Gateway" really the hostname? Obviously it is not known to the domain name service. Alternatively you can use the "advanced" Tab in the AddServer dialog of the UaExpert, here you can directly edit the URL and security policy settings.

The trace entry shows an error when UaGateway is trying to connect to a local discovery server (LDS). This is nothing critical so in most cases you can ignore this error. Just for explaination: The setup of UaGateway does NOT install the LDS. So maybe the LDS does not exist on that PC. Second, if you or some other OPC UA product has installed the LDS (manually), the reason could be that the certificates are not trusted. To overcome this you need to copy the UaGateway's public certificate into the LDS Windows cert-store (so that the LDS trusts the Gateway) and you need to copy the LDS's certificate into the UaGateway's certificate store (so that the Gateway trusts the LDS). After that the UaGateway will be able to register itself at the LDS. But again this is not required for proper operation of the UaGateway.

Best Regards
Support Team