communication with OPC UA T3000 Siemens

Questions regarding installing, running and configuring UaGateway.

Moderator: uagateway

valkog

communication with OPC UA T3000 Siemens

Post by valkog »

Hello all,
We would be very grateful if somebody can help to resolve OPC DA - OPC UA communication issue between two DCS system being as Schneider (Foxboro I/A , ) and T3000 Siemens. At present, we use OPC DA client's hardware solution through FBM233 installed on Scheider/Foxboro site and OPC DA server installed on T3000. Both OPC's are communicated with each other's through Matricon Tunnelers to avoid DCOM issues. We intend to upgrade T3000 application servers to new version R9.2 with OPC UA 1.02. The fact is that, we were trying to simulate/establish the communication channel through UAGateway installed on separate computer (no tunnelers) but unfortunately, no we got a success here. In addition, our dedicated DCS Galaxy server has special driver for OPC DA to be downloaded to a Flash memory of above FBM card and therefore, we do not have special, separate OPC client software to be installed. As I mentioned, yes, there is a OPC driver for FBM's serving for further software downloading and it has been developed by Foxboro company at past.
The communication problem could be addressed to ' so-called, a mapping issue. I remember, we used to find out special character to be applied for readable/writable I/O Siemens tags and it looks like we need to reveal new one which might be mandatory for such OPC UA data transferring. Probably, we have to put more information in our existing OPC DA driver's configuration file but one must note the driver's current format is limited by some number of characters.

Summarizing all the above. we are interested in:
1. User's experience related to communication to OPC UA of T3000 Siemens, especially with other DCS like Foxboro.
2. Correct usage/installation/configuration of UAGateway for communication with a OPC DA, FBM client card.
3. Any information about OPC UA of T3000 Siemen's server will be highly appreciated (vendor name, technical details and so on)

Many thanks in advance.

Val Kogan.
Senior Control Engineer, ICL group

Support Team

Re: communication with OPC UA T3000 Siemens

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

from our knowledge the FBM233 is based on WindowsCE. The UaGateway can not be installed on WindowsCE (and we have no plans to support outdated and deprecated OS). The DCOM configuration when using WinCE was always a pain, and the only people we know getting it running have used "tunnelers". The DCOM configuration settings that are described in the user manual of the FBM233 ("The Foxboro FDSI OPC Driver for FBM232 and FBM233"), will not work and became obsolet with "DCOM Hardening Patch" as introduced by Microsoft. We can not see how to get the Schneider/Invensis/Foxboro WinCE based FBM233 running in a secure and stable way. You should give up on that equipment, it has to many limitations.

The Siemens T3000 comes with OPC UA Server (at least in the new version) as you already mentioned. The T3000 has the option to "convert UA back to classic OPC" by using the UaGateway. This was done hundrets of times and worked nicely. However the requirement is to install the UaGateway on the PC (Windows PC) where the classic DA Client is located (to avoid DCOM, and to use secured UA over the wire). Such "Windows PC" suitable for installing UaGateway must at least have "WinXP+SP3+Updates", but of course we recommend Win10 or Win11 with latest updates. Check out with Siemens T3000 support team about special edition UaGateway.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

valkog

Post by valkog »

Hi

Many thanks for the comprehensive explanation.
I just would like to put into this matter again so as to understand the Foxboro side in more details.
To establish reliable communication with T3000 using OPC UA, we have to consider two options where first one is to try using the available OPC DA driver-based FBM233 with installing UAGateway on Siemens side. It would convert OPC UA data to OPC DA data but one must take into account T3000 is OPC server and DCS Foxboro + FBM233 is OPC client, respectively. While you were talking about installing DA client on the same PC with UAgateway installed, whether you take in mind DA client belonging to Foxboro or Siemens? I am asking the question because of, as far as I know, T3000 has also client option. Personally, I am not aware of any DA software client of FOXBORO itself except from the above-mentioned OPC DA driver.
Yes, you are absolutely right FBM233 is really old hardware and Schneider has already new OPC UA "FDC280" controller to replace FBM233.
We also tried the second option in test laboratory creating direct connection with T3000 OPC UA through the Schneider gateway but did not succeeded.
Unfortunately, Schneider has no experience of establishing direct FDC280-to-T3000 communication at this moment. At least, they have informed us recently. It forced us to consider the first option using UAgateway and my question here is related to specific configuration. As far as I understand, I cannot do a proper configuration on Foxboro/Schnieder side because of a lack of normal DA client software.
I would highly appreciate your comments related to a possible server-to-client configuration on T3000 side.
Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Val

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

The T3000 has OPC UA capabilities (both UA-client and UA-server side), but they decided to kick out the OPC DA/HDA and AE they had in previous versions. For "old" classic OPC connectivity they have the ability to "convert back" from UA to DA by using the UaGateway.
The Schneider/Foxboro DCS has no OPC at all, except by using this old FBM233 which is "extra" hardware/box/headless-device which has OPC Driver (which is DA-client running on WinCE) acting as translator to DCS database/block (max 2000 tags) and must be preconfigured (several txt/xml files) and downloaded on the box.

To avoid DCOM the only chance you have is: installing UaGateway on the classic DA side (in your case on the FBM233) to make local DA connection from DA-client driver to UaGateway and run UA over the wire to the T3000 UA Server. However, it is NOT possible to install UaGateway on WinCE. End of storry.

The (newer) FDC280 will have OPC UA-client driver (in case you have correct firmware image, Core Services version and Control Software) and should be able to directly connect to the T3000 UA-server (without the need of UaGateway). It seems like pretty much the same concept than with the FBM233 (having DA Client Driver). The FDC280 (having UA Client Driver), but also has some "limitations" regarding number of tags (8000), and max string length of tagname 128, etc.

Your best option is: analyze the issues with FDC280, at least a single (not redundant) direct UA connection to the T3000 should work. For redundant connectioin the FDC280 (most probably) expects same/identical tagnames (at least they did in the old FBM233), however the T3000 has different tagnames on it's two servers (e.g. "serv1-mytagname" and "serv2-mytagname"), hence not identical, hence redundant switch over will not work (but that is different storry). Single direct connection should work.
Best regards

valkog

Post by valkog »

Hi,

Many thanks again for the valuable recommendations.
We 'll try to apply FDC280 for the communication to be established again. To be honest, we have faced with a ridiculous situation when a customer needs to persuade two well-known companies Schneider and Siemens having produced million's controllers, software and so on to fix possible incompatibility or library mismatching. At least, Schneider's software developers are thinking about and requiring/expecting, at the same time, proper cooperation with relevant people on Siemens side. They stated us one must push Siemens to be responsible for. As I mentioned, no Scheider guys has experience creating a communication FDC280-to-T3000. Customer's responsibility, really???? where the same customer has business proposal from Siemens to upgrade their old T3000's hardware/software installed on power station. That is real story! We cannot go through the upgrade without fixing the OPC UA communication but strongly believe just comprehensive cooperation work between Siemens and Schneider could move " the stone" ahead.

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

I understand your frustration, however both (Siemens and Schneider) do follow the OPC standard and are even compliant in that respect. However, there might be some details that still prevent you from getting communication going. But I am pretty sure that "in general" it will work.
Best regards