OPC UA Connection

Questions regarding installing, running and configuring UaGateway.

Moderator: uagateway

JMerks

OPC UA Connection

Post by JMerks »

Hello,

Is it possible to connect an extra laptop (server) between a (in my case Phoenix AXC1050) PLC to for example TIA Portal by OPC UA and how should this be done?

So below a little schematic of the project:

From Machine <-via I/O-> Phoenix AXC1050 programmed in PcWorx (OPC UA Client??) <-via ethernet cable-> RV50Modem <-via M2M internet-> Laptop 1 server (Which only has to receive and send data from A to B and back?) <-via wifi-> Laptop 2 with TIA Portal V16 (OPC UA Server??) <---> TIA Portal WinCC Visualisation.

I am not sure which program I should / could use on the Laptop 1.

Could someone please help me with an explanation?

Excuse me for my english.
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Joost

Support Team

Re: OPC UA Connection

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

the UaGateway can be used to "convert" from OPC DA to OPC UA and vice versa (including OPC A&E and HDA). Therefore you can use the UaGateway if you have OPC DA Server (old OPC server, old PLC) and want to access it with (new/modern) OPC UA Client, or if you have OPC DA Client (old HMI system) and want to connect to new/modern PLC wt build-in UA Server. However the UaGateway has no "prorietary" protocols implemented, hence not the Phönix.

Furthermore you can use the UaGateway to "aggregate" multiple OPC Server (either DA or UA or both) and provide all their combined data via OPC UA (including the advantage of security, encryption and authorization). With that you can create a secure single point of access for all you machine-, line- or plant-data. This inclused the feature of "reverse connect" allowing to get secured through a firewall.

In addition you could create a "tunneler" when installing two UaGateway on both ends and connect via secured OPC UA. With that you can overcome the DCOM issues when connection "old" OPC DA Clients and Servers.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team