Question about whether UaGateway and OPC DA devices can be deployed on different hosts

Questions regarding installing, running and configuring UaGateway.

Moderator: uagateway

MT_BJ_XYF

Question about whether UaGateway and OPC DA devices can be deployed on different hosts

Post by MT_BJ_XYF »

Dear,
Hi
I am trying to connect devices configured with DA servers through the uagateway.

My current solution is to install uagateway on a new windows device and then search and read the DA server, but I find that this does not seem to work? I would like to confirm whether there is a way for DA and uagateway to connect on different devices?

thank you

Support Team

Re: Question about whether UaGateway and OPC DA devices can be deployed on different hosts

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

the UaGateway must be installed on the same computer where the DA Server is installed !

With that you can create "local" connection from UaGateway to the DA Server, you avoid the DCOM and the hardening patch for Windows. The remote connection (to the UaGateway's UA Server) will be UA only. So yes, the DA Servers may be deployed on different hosts, hence you need one UaGateway on each of them. If you have all DA Servers installed on one host, you just need one UaGateway (can connect up to 50 local DA Servers, but I doubt that you have 50 on one computer).

With that you are not looking at how many DA Servers you have, you just looking for how many computers you have installed them on.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

MT_BJ_XYF

Re: Question about whether UaGateway and OPC DA devices can be deployed on different hosts

Post by MT_BJ_XYF »

Dear,
Thanks very much!
If I can install all the DA servers on one computer, I understand.

So, the hardware requirements of UaGateway shouldn't be too high? If I want to connect 500,000 nodes form DA server, is the software likely to crash?

best regards!

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

typically you may have 1 to 5 DA-Servers on one PC, but not 50, most people will have exactly "one" DA-Server per PC, hence one local UaGateway.

If the hardware requirements of the PC can host the DA-Server, they will most likely be able to host the UaGateway in addition. The tested limit for UaGateway is 65.000 nodes per channel (one underlying DA-Server), and 100.000 nodes in total over all channels. I assume you can figure out the math yourself. From our experience this is way more than real applications need.

If the software crashes, you must first check if the DA-Server would have been crashed when running 500.000 nodes alone (without UaGateway). We have never seen any situation where the UaGateway gave up first. Anyways, the beauty of the evaluation-edition is, that you can test it yourself before purchasing.
Best regards

MT_BJ_XYF

Post by MT_BJ_XYF »

Dear,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clear just now. It should be 500,000 tags not 500,000 nodes(It does sound like an exaggeration).
Given that the maximum number of nodes is 100,000, what method should I use to connect these 500,000 tags on a device?

your
best regards

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,
if you need to operate more than 65.000 tags per channel you will most likely experience other limitations in underlying server. Best option you have is "reduce" the amount of data.

Independent of that we have seen UaGateway's being configured with 1.5 to 2 Mio tags, however that is outside the scope of normal operations, hence on your own risk.
Best regards