Error : undefined reference to symbol 'OPENSSL_sk_num@@OPENSSL_1_1_0'

Questions regarding the use of the ANSI C SDK for Server or Client development or integration into customer products ...

Moderator: uasdkc

UlrichFM

Error : undefined reference to symbol 'OPENSSL_sk_num@@OPENSSL_1_1_0'

Post by UlrichFM »

Hello,
I'm using the ansi c client sdk and have run the Evaluation Edition with OPENSSL 1.1.0
but when i tried to build the Source Edition (by just replacing the include and lib files), i had these errors :

/////////////////////////////
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libcrypto.so.1.1, needed by lib_opc/libuastack.so, may conflict with libcrypto.so.10
/usr/bin/ld: lib_opc/libbaselib.a(uabase_pki.c.o): undefined reference to symbol 'OPENSSL_sk_num@@OPENSSL_1_1_0'
//usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
///////////////////////////

Can somebody help me fix it ?

Support Team

Re: Error : undefined reference to symbol 'OPENSSL_sk_num@@OPENSSL_1_1_0'

Post by Support Team »

Dear Ulrich,

We are not able to reproduce the issue but we found the following error description on Stackoverflow that looks similar:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42111198/undefined-symbol-openssl-sk-num

It looks like you have different versions of OpenSSL on your system and something gets mixed up.

Why do you use OpenSSL 1.1.0?
This version is outdated and no longer supported.
See also:
https://www.openssl.org/policies/releasestrat.html

The Unified Automation SDKs are using OpenSSL version 1.1.1.
This is the only officially supported OpenSSL version at the moment.

The SDKs should also still work with the 1.1.0 but the two versions have major differences and it is strongly recommended to use the officially supported version.
There will be no security fixes for the old version anymore and this is a major problem for a security library.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team