OPC UA Connection

Unified Architecture topics related to OPC UA Specification, compliant behavior and any technical issues of OPC UA, like Security, Information Model, Companion Specs DI, PLCopen, ADI, ...

Moderator: Support Team

JMerks

OPC UA Connection

Post by JMerks »

Hello,

Is it possible to connect an extra laptop (server) between a (in my case Phoenix AXC1050) PLC to for example TIA Portal by OPC UA and how should this be done?

So below a little schematic of the project:

From Machine <-via I/O-> Phoenix AXC1050 programmed in PcWorx (OPC UA Client??) <-via ethernet cable-> RV50Modem <-via M2M internet-> Laptop 1 server (Which only has to receive and send data from A to B and back?) <-via wifi-> Laptop 2 with TIA Portal V16 (OPC UA Server??) <---> TIA Portal WinCC Visualisation.

I am not sure which program I should / could use on the Laptop 1, is Unified a good solution and which version etc.?
Could someone please help me with an explanation?

Excuse me for my english.
Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Joost

Support Team

Re: OPC UA Connection

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

from my knowledge the Phönix AXC 3050, 1050 und ILC 1x1 do support OPC DA (AX OPC Server) but also OPC UA (PC Worx OPC UA Server). Such OPC Servers are NOT embedded into the PLC, they are Software installed on extra PC (typically the one where the Client lives). However the new PLCnext technology controler platforms have OPC UA Server "built-in" the PLC, no extra software required.

In your case you will need extra PC (your laptop) and must install "PCWorxOPCUAServer", and the WinCC (built-in) OPC UA Client (on your second laptop) can access (browse, read, write, monitor) all the data of the machine.

In case you have PLCnext you can directly connect the WinCC (UA Client) to the Phönix (UA Server), without intermediate PC/laptop. Of course you will require a TCP/IP enabled physical connection between the two (Wifi or cabled or modem does not matter).
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

JMerks

Re: OPC UA Connection

Post by JMerks »

Hi support team,

Oke thanks for your fast reaction.
I'am still not sure how to set up my connection.

- The phoenix AXC1050 PLC is in field together with the RV50 Modem with a M2M internet connection. ( < OPC UA Server / Client?)

- Laptop 1, The (Cloud) has to "tunnel" / "make a data highway" between this Modem and Laptop 2.

- Laptop 2 has Siemens TIA Portal v16 prof. installed which can be used to visualize and adjust the parameters from the Phoenix PLC. (< OPC UA Server / Client?)

Because low energy usage is needed, these PLC and Modem are chosen. (The Modem will go in sleep mode for 15 min. and will 'wake up' the PLC every 15min to send and receive the data.) I do also want to use OPC UA to be flexible with the visualisation.

I am still searching a bit because this is my first time using these protocols, so what would you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Sincerly,
Joost Merks
Eindhoven, Netherlands.

EDIT: Is it maybe possible to put PC WORX UA SERVER on Laptop 1? and how could I connect via the PLC and MODEM with M2M?