Represent NodeSet in SQL

Unified Architecture topics related to OPC UA Specification, compliant behavior and any technical issues of OPC UA, like Security, Information Model, Companion Specs DI, PLCopen, ADI, ...

Moderator: Support Team

felix.kretschmer

Represent NodeSet in SQL

Post by felix.kretschmer »

Hi there,

we are trying to build a server that represents its entire namespace in a SQL database.
Is there any model available that represents the xml nodeset specification in a SQL database model? Which database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS-SQL) does not matter.
The acutual payload (value of variables) isn't of any meaning either (for now). It's just the browsable nodes, that need to be available.

Thanks for any help.
--Felix

Al González

Re: Represent NodeSet in SQL

Post by Al González »

Hi Felix.

In my work we are modeling an OPC UA SQL database. I will ask our DBA to feed back this thread with more details in order to improve this idea. Thanks to a humble "SQL OPC UA" normalization that we have invented, I think we could store all the information of any application in just 32 tables (or a few more):

DataType
Method
MethodArgument
MethodArgumentArrayDimension
MethodArgumentDescription
NameSpace
Node
NodeDescription
NodeRelation
NodeSpecialID
Object
ObjectType
ReferenceType
ReferenceTypeInverseName
String
Variable
VariableArrayDimension
VariableBinary
VariableBoolean
VariableDateTime
VariableDouble
VariableFloat
VariableGUID
VariableImage
VariableInt32
VariableInt64
VariableString
VariableType
VariableXML
View
XML

I think this thread is a good topic to discuss and enrich.

See you soon.

[align=right]Key words: OPC UA, SQL, tables, databases, nodes, address space, information models, normalization, node sets, storage, persistence, objects, variables, references.[/align]
Al Gonzalez
OPC UA and Delphi programmer

felix.kretschmer

Re: Represent NodeSet in SQL

Post by felix.kretschmer »

Thanks for the input. And sorry for the late response.

We got a student that wrote a thesis about this and tried to implement a first draft. Results should be available by end of June. I might summarize the major aspects and upload interessting results. We'll definitly keep this work up.