OPC UA for microcontroller

Unified Architecture topics related to OPC UA Specification, compliant behavior and any technical issues of OPC UA, like Security, Information Model, Companion Specs DI, PLCopen, ADI, ...

Moderator: Support Team

sis

OPC UA for microcontroller

Post by sis »

I would like to use OPC UA on an Atmel AT32 microcontroller with a Webserver. Are there any libraries for OPC UA already available for Atmel
microcontrollers? Or would you recommend to use another microcontroller if I need OPC UA?

Support Team

Re: OPC UA for microcontroller

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

you can use the commercial source code version of our C++ or ANSI C based OPC UA SDKs to integrate the OPC UA interface into your application for the microcontroller. The SDK code is held generic, so you can compile it with most compilers for a large variety of platforms. Tha adoption to the operating system is done by the platform layer, which can be adapted for your needs.
It would be easy, if you can use Linux as OS, because you can get a Linux platform layer with our SDKs.

Best regards
Support Team

jensum

Post by jensum »

Hi,

I also want to try OPC UA with microcontrollers,
my setup is an ARM processor (STM32)

Is Linux needed ? Or is there any way to directly run OPC UA on microcontroller?

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

The use of Linux would simplfy everything a lot. Our SDKs are calling operating system functions (like memory management, sockets, timers, mutexes and so on) through the platform layer. If you can provide all this functions, you can run the SDK directly on your controller. But this means, that you will have created your own OS, which would be al lot of work.

Best regards
Support Team