Access Additional Methods At Client's End

Unified Architecture topics related to OPC UA Specification, compliant behavior and any technical issues of OPC UA, like Security, Information Model, Companion Specs DI, PLCopen, ADI, ...

Moderator: Support Team

milublues

Access Additional Methods At Client's End

Post by milublues »

Hi !

You see ,I am a week old to opc ua and I am not able to get it exactly what you told to y previous question.If you can explain in normal words without going deep in technical words,it will be of great appreciation.
Let me explain you my prob. with an example

suppose there is a method node [ GetDetailsOfEmployeeFromITBranch ] and takes input as employeeID
now , when the client calls this method through node,it will ask for the employeeID , the input parameter.

Here the client should now the employyeID of the employees of IT department.
There is a method at server say [GetemployeeListOfDept ] where you pass the department name and you get the list of employees from that department.The client will access this method and get the list of employees and then he can select one from the list to pass in our node method as input argument

Now , my question is how client will call the [GetemployeeListOfDept ] method as it is not associated with any node , but it is required to call.

Thanks

Support Team

Re: Access Additional Methods At Client's End

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

If you want to call a method on an OPC UA server you need to
- identify the node that owns the method (NodeId of the Object node that owns the method - NodeId is the address of a node in the server)
- identify the node that represents the method (NodeId of the Method node)
- provide the input arguments

Lets say you have an Object with the name 'MyMethods' and the two methods 'GetDetailsOfEmployeeFromITBranch' and 'GetemployeeListOfDept' as children of the object. All three nodes need unique NodeIds. These NodeIds are then used to call the methods. It is not necessary that the nodes are visible in the address space but they need unique NodeIds.

You cannot call the method 'GetemployeeListOfDept' if you do not have a NodeId for it!

Best Regards,
Unified Automation Support Team