OPC UA via M2M internet

Unified Architecture topics related to OPC UA Specification, compliant behavior and any technical issues of OPC UA, like Security, Information Model, Companion Specs DI, PLCopen, ADI, ...

Moderator: Support Team

JMerks

OPC UA via M2M internet

Post by JMerks »

Hi,

Is it possible to connect a Phoenix AXC1050 PLC (OPC UA Server) <ethernet> Sierra RV50 Modem <M2M Internet SD Card> directly to a Laptop with TIA Portal Professional Scada (OPC UA Client).
And is there something special which I should keep in mind while setting this up? 

Thanks in advance! :)

Support Team

Re: OPC UA via M2M internet

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

OPC UA is based on TCP/IP, hence if you get a TCP/IP connection going, the OPC UA will work as well.
1) check if you can "ping" the other side machine.
2) check if you can "telnet" on port 4840
3) check if you can resolve hostnames on both sides
4) if you have your basic TCP/IP infrastructure running, OPC UA will run as well.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team

JMerks

Post by JMerks »

Hello,
Thanks for the fast reaction!

Is it possible to go directly from TIA Portal to the AXC1050?
So that I use the IP of the modem(M2M SD-Card) or PLC in the OPC UA Client side of TIA Portal. (Which one should I use?)
And use the IP from the Laptop in the Phoenix UA Server software?
I am not sure if I am missing something..

I am new to data protocols so I am trying to figure out how I could get this working.

Thanks in advance!
Joost

Support Team

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

you "first" must do everything that is required to get a standard TCP/IP connection going.
As already described, OPC UA is based on TCP/IP. If you have two networks you most probably need routing. That is all basic network infrastructure configuration and has nothing to do with OPC UA.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team