Connecting to an OPC UA server with username and password

General topics regarding OPC Foundation and communication technology in general.

Moderator: Support Team

zdemmel

Connecting to an OPC UA server with username and password

Post by zdemmel »

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to my company and they're brand new to working with OCA UA (Most of our work has been in OPC DA so far) and we're working on handling the security options for our customers to connect to their UA servers

The general idea is that we have a system that will connect to a UA server, essentially acting like a UA client. This system is proprietary and is a monster that has been around for years and years, so we are developing external tools to connect to them to our system. Essentially it will be an OPC UA client connecting another OPC UA client to a OPC UA server

We have no issue connecting and pulling data when the security of the endpoint is none of course, and I'm in the process of researching certificates, which I have a few leads on and ideas of how to work with them, however at this point my focus is on getting username and password authentication to work.

So far I've been working with Unified Automation's UA SDK .NET evaluation bundle. I've been working with that demo UA server and I have a small application based on the full client application. I can deal with the certificates and trusts no problem, but I'd like to do some work with username and password authentication. Is there a way to change the demo UA server to require that, or is there another demo server that i can work with? And any advice on our endevors would be hugely appreciated

Support Team

Re: Connecting to an OPC UA server with username and password

Post by Support Team »

Hi,

the demoserver in .NET (but also all other demo servers of Unified Automation) have certain nodes in the address space that require user autorization in order to access, read or write them. The demoserver has some build in users for testing purpose (see documentation for credentials).
With that you can test out your client identifying as "anonymous" or even better as a certain user.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team