license clarification

General topics regarding OPC Foundation and communication technology in general.

Moderator: Support Team

giorgino

license clarification

Post by giorgino »

Hi I need a clarification because I'm not sure about issues related to license. I need to realize an opc ua client that is able to read few tags (4 or 5 tags) from an opc ua server installed in a hmi panel of a machine and save these data into a database, so after these data could be read from another application. I would like to write these client taking advantage of the source code present in the GitHub, and at the moment I don't know If I will use the java source or the .NET. Now considering that I'm not a member of the opc ua foundation, from the license point of view, what I have to do in order to use this software and have not legal problems?
If I begin from an example and modify it according my needs, I can stay tranquil because it is a MIT license. Please excuse me If I'm not able to understand better all the licenses issue, but I would like to avoid any problems. Please help me explaining all the details. Thanks

Support Team

Re: license clarification

Post by Support Team »

Hello,

if you use the code provided on OPC Foundation's GIT.Hub there is a simple dual license:

1) OPC Members: use the code under RCL (reciprocal community license)
>> you must give back all improvements you have made to the stack/SDK code base, but you don't need to disclose your application side implementations (typically prefered for commercial use)

2) Non-Members: use the code under GPLv2
>> you must give back all improvements you have made (because you must disclose whatever you have changed), AND you must disclose your application side code as well (which you typically don't want to do with commercial application)

if you use the commercial SDK from Unified Automation, there is a COMMERCIAL license (see Software License Agreement):
>> independent of being OPC Member or Non-Member: the Unified Automation SDK/Stack code is confidential, you must keep it confidential, you don't give back or share anything, and of course your own application side code must not be disclosed.
Best regards
Unified Automation Support Team